#53. Arien Smith - Thriving + Mental Illness
This is a meaningful and wise conversation that opened my eyes in more ways than one. It made me re-think some of the ways the self-help movement has marginalized those who are looking to thrive while living with a mental illness, and helped me feel more empowered around what inclusive self-development includes.
[if you enjoyed this episode, please review us! We so appreciate your feedback. Head here: www.thrive.how/review]
Arien Smith is thriving while living with mental illness. He is also a Life Coach and host of an incredibly inspiring online TV show - Arien Inspires (aptly named!!) - where he talks through practical ways that people can thrive while living with mental illness.
This episode, among other things includes:
- How simply trusting yourself to get through things (even when they're not easy) empowers you
- How many self-help messages inadvertently marginalize those living with a mental illness
- Aliveness and the power of feeling, rather than closing off emotions
- How happiness isn't always a choice
- Why feeling broken is nothing to be ashamed of
- How you can be completely afraid and courageous at the same time
- How your pain can shape you in a positive way
- How self-discovery and spirituality can go hand-in-hand
- How you can have wellness and a mental illness at the same time
- How not loving yourself doesn't make you unloveable
And SO much more! This is jammed full of ah-ha's and insights.
We talked about his favorite episode of Arien Inspires so far being - Authenticity & Feeling Broken. Here is the direct link: http://uncoveryourjoy.com/authenticity-self-love-feeling-broken/
Arien's website is www.uncoveryourjoy.com
His facebook: https://www.facebook.com/arieninspires/
Instagram etc. @ArienInspires
To keep up to date and join Arien's community (and get access to a free transformation e-course) head here: http://uncoveryourjoy.com/overcome-challenge-ecourse/
To join my community and receive free resources [including a free guide with 21 Journal Prompts for Self-Discovery] head to www.thrive.how/free